Monday, August 18, 2008

Reflections of a Singaporean

I am a true blue Singaporean and I support the PAP. THis is not a consequential statement as I do not automatically support the PAP as I am a Singaporean. Many of my friends and family are supporting the opposition because they believe that our existing political party is not doing anything for the country. In fact, they are the ones who are adding to the "misery" of life. Sometimes it gets embarrassing for me to admit that I am a PAP supporter as I am often seen as not being a risk taker.

However, my take is this. In life,most of us yearn for a modicum of control. Yes, we seek freshness and thrill, yet at the end of the day, we do want some kind of routine to govern our lives so that we have something to expect everyday. To me, the PAP provides a certain guideline and if you do not fall beyond that net, you should be happy and safe. Of course there are variations; you can seek thrills and push the net and test limits, but do not fall out of the net.

I think the problem is that sometimes the policies are not explained properly and passionately enough and that is why people see the party as being rigid and stiff. It all boils down to communicating why things are done in a certain way and preempt people so that they know their concerns are being addressed. It's stoops to implement something and then expect people to follow. Be transparent to communicate how the policies are being crafted and implemented.

No comments: