Monday, August 11, 2008

No medal for Tao Li

I watched the 100m buttefly today where Tao Li was swimming in lane 6. I had my hopes pinned on a bronze medal by Tao since she swam so well yesterday to reach the finals. Alas it was not to be as she finished 5th. Although in my heart I knew that it was quite a good swim, I still felt disappointed. It would be great if she could have won something! Hubs was just remarking that even if she had won a medal, he would still feel that something is lacking as she is not a Singaporean.

But when the camera panned the surroundings in the aquatic center, I could see people of different nationalities holding each other's flag. A seeming Chinese looking person was holding a US flag etc. Maybe nationalities mattered less than the country that nurtured you. Perhaps that's what being a global citizen means.

But despite being a global citizen, if the crunch comes, which country would you support? The country where you were borned in or the country where you worked in?

It certainly isn't an easy question to answer.

No comments: