The thumping music increased my adrenaline as I prepared to dance the night away. It has been a long and tiring conference and I was looking forward to letting my hair down, My colleagues and I headed straight for the bar, greeting our business associates who were already milling around. It was great that the post conference party was to be held at Thumper, a classy bar cum watering hole in the heart of orchard.
Picking up my drink, I looked around for a seat. Finding one next to a Thai associate, I soon started an animated conversation with her. I always marvel at how they are so gentle and yet aggressive at the same time. Watching the cigarette smoke curling gently above me, I felt so free, no more late nights! The music played on as the room started to fill up. Bored with the conversation, I glanced around, hoping to find some more interesting people. “ He’s not here, do not bother to look. He said he had work to do so he won’t be coming,” Sophia, my good friend cum colleague whispered in my ear. “ Who said I was looking out for him?’ I cried defensively and turned to enter the bathroom.
“ Excuse me, do I know you?” as someone tapped me from behind. “No, I do not know you,” I cried, irritation welling up. I am not interested in knowing anyone at this moment in time. I swung around, fully intending to give him a piece of my mind. The words stopped at my throat. He was a dreamboat. The floppy hair, strong jaw.. the makings of a silent hero. But nah, I did not melt. He was not my kind. “Sorry, I got the wrong person,” he said. “ Never mind”, I replied. I do not deny my heart skipped a beat.
I walked out of the bathroom, intending to bide an early good night. I was just not in the mood for anything or talk to anyone right now. My heart skipped a beat as I saw who was there. “Hi Shawn, you managed to come by after all,” trying my dardnest to sound like I did not care. “Yupz, I managed to finish everything, I wanted to come down to talk to the Egyptians people. They seem quite interested in opening up a pasta branch.” “See you later!” I said.
My mood lifted. I got pulled into the dance floor, and tried not to look too turned off by a moustache guy who was trying to dance as close to me. Shawn stood by the side, watching.
After what seemed like a long time, I walked off the dance floor, bushed. It was midnight, the witching hour. “Hey, I’ll fetch you home,” he said. The club was crowded as we pushed our way through to the entrance. Stretching out his hand, he took my hand in his as we stepped into the crisp night sky.
Wednesday, August 10, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment