Yucks! Long after I have finished eating it, the aftertaste lingers in my mouth. The taste seems to stay,permeating every pore in my tongue, contaminating my teeth and latching itself onto the roof of my mouth. The smelly germ is probably invigorated by the way my mouth is protesting against its invasion.
Smelly beancurd truly lives up to its name. Maybe its a delicacy to some people, but to me it holds no fascination. I did not allow anything to go into my stomach. I should have suspected the moment i stepped into the shop. The smell of drain water is a permanent "scent", wafting in the air. I guess to lovers of this delicacy, it is the smell the invokes pleasant sensation, like the bell in Pavlov's experiment, reminding them of the treat that they are enjoying or is to come. The uninitiated probably heard alot about the delicacy and refuse to believe the smell is a forewarning of what is to come. Imagining biting into the soft cripsy golden brown skin, enjoying the "aroma" of the smell and savouring every bite of it. Or so i thought.
At 2 bucks a piece, it was reasonable, with chilli sauce and another mixture of sauce that I am unable to make out. Believe me, the smell is BAD.... it stank up the whole car.
But i was looking forward to eating it. Like a child who has never tasted something unfamiliar, I was curious to find out if it is as good as how it is describe. And i am a toufu fan, so how bad can it be?
We planned to eat claypot rice. Not even waiting to order the meal, i tore off the white paper that ensconed my treasure. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and took a big bite, as the people around me watched with abated breath....
NO sense of ephiphany or bliss... hmm, maybe epiphany, or REALISATION that i would never allow such food to descreate the sanctuary of my body. I wanted to swallow but maybe my stomach men were protesting against the invasion of something so revolting to me. I spat it out and immediately pushed it away as everyone around me looked on with amusement. Water water, i cried. None was available. I valiantly swallowed to get rid of the taste.
As i walked away to eat frog porridge, i swore never ever would i eat SMELLY BEANCURD again. it is the grosset thing I have eaten so far.....
Sunday, August 07, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment