Monday, June 23, 2008

Deeper meaning?

When people say that women should be domesticated and are only good for housework, I get into a rage because that is obviously not what women are good for! Women are perfectly capable of going out to work and fending for themselves.

Yet, as now as I think deeper, perhaps women are responsible for perpetuating that domesticated ideal of a woman. I speak for myself as I sense an innate longing to look after my man and to make him as comfortable as he can. I find myself picking up after him, doing the dishes and ironing the clothes. This is so that my man can relax in front of the television and enjoy his free time. Is this what they call a maternal instinct? Am I looking after my man in the same way as I look after my child? Why is it that I cannot allow my man to pick up after himself? I clean up after him as he takes ages to clean up and a dish can stay on the same spot for days if no one takes the initiative to clean it up.

If I allow room for him to clean up after himself, should I mind that he takes ages to do so? What if I am labelled "sloppy" and not good wife if I allow him to do so? Will the cycle only end when women are allowed the liberty to shed off all stereotypes of what it is that defines them and the men do likewise?

No comments: