Monday, April 21, 2008

Book Review: The Vicar of Nibbleswicke by Roald Dahl


I was quite a voracious reader as a kid, devouring books by various authors like Dickens, Enid Blyton etc. I had no preference; though I enjoyed reading thrillers quite a bit. Roald Dahl was the rage at my time. All my friends were reading it and they discussed animatedly about his books. However, I did not like reading books by Roald Dahl at all. I felt they were nonsensical and the protaganists in the stories silly and frivolous. They did not seem to exist in real life.

However, I started picking up Dahl's books recently. I decided to give it a go again and surprisingly, I found it quite enjoyable , with its quirky characters and their out-of-the world antics.

I enjoyed this book very much as it is a light-hearted read ( I completed it in 20 minutes). Yet, there was a serious message of the trouble that people with dyslexia might face and the trouble that the condition might bring. However, the protaganist (Reverend Lee, the pastor of Nibblewicke) was not judged by his condition but was accepted by the villagers.

The book was written for the benefit of the Dyslexia Institute.

Pick it up! It will be a nice read for anyone.

No comments: