Sunday, June 01, 2008

Lasik Surgery II

Finally, after resting for 3 days, my eyes are feeling better after the surgery. There is dryness and sometimes it feels like I have worn my contacts for a long time and I just want to take it out because it is so dry. However, I have to remind myself that I have PERFECT eyesight NOW and there is no need to wear contact lenses anymore! Just thinking of it makes me so excited. I have been wearing contact lenses for about 12 years and glasses for 20 years and waking up to perfect eyesight is just so great!(for the lack of a better word).

My surgery was scheduled on 28 May, 1030 am. I had read a blog detailing what exactly happened.. the waiting time etc and I expected the whole process to take a long time with loads of waiting. Melvin downloaded 10 episodes of Fate Stay Night and brought 2 comic books. I brought my DS as I expected to read the papers and watch Tyra Banks on TV. When we reached there, in about 15 mins, I was called in to the room to check my eyes. I was brought to the procedure room half an hour later where the nurse explained the medicine that I was supposed to use. I also took off my glasses and was gowned, ready for the procedure. It was harrowing.. my heart was beating like mad. I supposed I'm a scaredy cat to a certain extent. After that, I was brought into a dark room where I waited for another 15 mins. Someone had already done the procedure and was resting there. I wanted to talk to him/her (it was too dark to determine) but I did not want to be an irritant. I listened to music and tried to calm myself.

After that, I was brought to a waiting room where anesthetic was dropped into my eye. I kept asking the nurse whether I needed to have an injection. How can you numb a body organ using drops??! She assured me that I should feel a numbness soon. I didn't and I called her to drop alot more of the drops into my eye. I was so scared that I would feel pain. Thank God I did. Weiyu said that she felt an itch at a small corner of her eye where the eye drop did not reach. The nurses did not lie, yes, my eyes started to feel numb after awhile.

Soon, Dr Lee came into the waiting room. I told him that I was so scared but he gave a smile and reassured me that things are fine. I felt like a bother cos he probably has done countless of these procedures that he probably could do it with his eyes closed and I was doubting an expert? I wouldn't dare.

The operating theatre was clinical, as expected. I was asked to lie down and asked to look at the blinking lights. I could feel the flap of my eye being lifted up. I knew that my cornea was being cut cos there was a burning smell but there was no pain at all. It was quite unbearable cos I knew that the moment was crucial, if I tolerated for abit more, then I would have great eyesight. The rate of success would depend on how much I can "lun" (4th sound). So I thought die die I would open my eyes and through sheer perserverance and the grace of God, it was OVER!!!

Dr Lee said, " you have new eyes"! and I could see without my specs for the first time. After that I was led to a room to rest for 15 to 20 mins before Dr Lee saw me again and I could go home.

The glare hit me when I was in the car and I could not open my eyes in the car. Thank God that the discomfort disappeared after I slept for awhile and I have perfect eyesight! Almost...

No comments: